Wednesday, March 8, 2017

DIY Industrial Pipe Shelves


Hi Friends - I feel so hit or miss here!  I am always in a state of panic or rushing to go somewhere or do something so it seems that something has to give. I have recently started to take baths to soak in a lavender and chamomile bath to help me relax and be calm. It has helped me somewhat but I seem to be sleeping better on the nights I take the bath. I can't say it has slowed me down though!

My last post was in November and I was tickled to show off my first floor half bathroom. This was a must do as I was getting new flooring and it only made sense to redo that room. I admit I still need to buy hand towels though and the light fixture!

One of my projects in that room was SIMPLE shelving. I looked on Pinterest for something a bit rustic and easy and decided on shelves consisting of wood plank, and galvanized pipes. I think I estimated the shelves to cost around $35 each. A bit pricey but they turned out exactly like I hoped for.

I got a 1x4 wood board (about $4.00) from Lowe's and had them cut the board for me (free!), and I still have 2 extra pieces. I used Minwax in the sample can in Dark Walnut ($4.77). The support was built using 1/2 inch floor flange ($6.84), 1/2 in pipe cap ($2.28). and 6in l x 1/2 d pipe (about $6-8). I used Rustoleum metallic silver spray Paint ($4.00). I also used screws and wall anchors (about $4.00).

Since the very helpful man at Lowe's made the cut, I was able to start from step 2 which was spray paint all the support pieces of my shelves in the metallic silver. While that was drying I sanded down the cut edges on my boards, just a bit! Then I applied 1 coat of stain to my shelves and wiped off the excess stain. I liked the look of 1 coat so I stopped there, I wanted rustic and 2 coats may have been too much.I loved how the knots in the wood looked and how 1 coat of stain really brought out the wood grain.

While my pipes and shelves dried I measured and marked where my shelves would be hung. I carefully marked the holes and proceeded with inserting the wall anchors and hanging the floor flange.
BUT, here is where I messed up and ultimately made a second trip to Lowe's. Make sure if you do this project to get the screws with the correct sized head, mine were too small and they just went inside the holes on the floor flange, but I was able to return what I bought and found screws and anchors that were perfect for the holes on the floor flange.

SO, back on track I inserted the wall anchors and then screwed in the floor flange, added the pipe and cap and set a board on it to measure and level the second support, and followed the same process for my second shelf, but note that I marked about where I wanted the second shelf before hanging anything so I could have my supports be hung level to the others.

Once I had my supports hung I just laid the wood boards in place and a day later once I was sure all was dry, I decorated.


One tip I took from this is I used a rag to handle the pipe as my fingers were discoloring the paint, so I actually had to repaint to fix it.  Using a rag kept my hands from messing the pipes up. I am not sure if the paint needed a couple days to set or if it was a reaction to the pipe, my hands, and the paint, but beware!

As I mentioned early in my post, these were a little expensive to make but I got exactly what I had envisioned and I like that I made them myself. I get a lot of compliments and questions about my shelves from visitors.

No comments:

Post a Comment