Monday, October 20, 2014

French Door on Patio



Y'all this is a happy day! I have had the most gosh awful sliding glass door for the past 11 years. It was the worst door. When we built they put in a slider (one of those things we didn't think about) and the brick layers got morter in the tracks of this sliding door. I did spend a lot of time early on chisling that morter out of the tracks, but it got under the door so I could never get it all.



The screen was nearly impossible to open and close and the door while better still was problematic. I have a stance I like to get into to demonstrate how I had to open the screen but, since your not here I can't show you, but let's just say it took some solid footing and upper body strength to get that screen open and closed, lol.



The other things I hated about that door was how disgusting the tracks got, I was always cleaning dirty gunk out of those tracks. The other bigger issue was how to cover that door, I didn't want vertical blinds, so I tried sheer curtain panels and later a panel system - this was similar to vertical blinds but instead of blinds you had 4 cloth panels that hung from a double curtain rail/track. These were good until I finally had to wash the panels and the white backing peeled off unevenly and the panels shrunk 6-8 inches each! That was awesome!



This year it was finally time to do something about that door. Let me be honest we all hated that sliding door. We looked at a few door companies and compared prices and features and we went with Home Depot and got a Jel-wyn (I think I have this name wrong) french patio door with built in blinds (yea!).



We order the door in May and they brought our door in July but upon unwrapping it, the installer noticed the door was damaged, boo! So a second door was ordered and installed in early September. It is so beautiful and it can be opened with little upper body strength and on uneven footing, lmao.



I did have to do some painting to complete the door, the installers had to build a new frame and install new trim and corner round at the floor. We also had to paint the wood on the outside.  I used snow white paint that matches the rest of my baseboards and door frames. On the corner round I gel stained it Java by General Finishes. Which looks amazing! I am also gel staining the bottom of my other entry doors for consistency sake.



This was a huge 2014 project for my house! Many more to go but I am relishing this moment with my new door.















No comments:

Post a Comment