Monday, September 15, 2014

General Finishes Gel Stained Mantle Clock


My mom gave me a light oak mantle clock at least 10 years ago. I like the clock but am over the light oak/ honey oak that ruled the 1990's and early 2000's.


I decided to use my clock as my first attempt at gel staining.  I picked up a can of the Java Gel Stain by General Finishes, I found this stain at Wood Craft. It was not the cheapest stain but I have been reading it is worth every penny and goes a long way.

I took apart the clock as much as possible and set up an area to work in. I cleaned the clock with Krud Kutter Gloss Off with a lint free cloth and let dry for 15 minutes.

The stain is like a thick pudding in consistency. I did not have any rubber gloves so I covered my hand in a ziploc baggie and then with an old sock.  I applied a thin and even coat over the clock and let dry for about 8 hours.  The first coat isn't great, but have patience, the second coat went on much easier and I chose to do a third coat to achieve a thick dark coat.
The finish was very smooth and not too shiny. I also bought the Satin Eurthane top coat but chose to not apply this to my clock because I liked the finish that the gel stain gives.

This project was a 2 day job but overall was only a couple hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment