Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Recipe: Zucchini Tacos


I really like zucchini but its hard for me to find new ways to use it. I typically use zucchini on the grill, roasted in the oven or sauteed on the stove top.

A few weeks ago I went to dinner with two of my girlfriends to celebrate our birthdays and an engagement. We went to a Mexican restaurant called Cazadores. Their menu is the same as most Mexican restaurants with the exception of the vegetarian section but because I choose from the vegetarian section, from restaurant to restaurant I never know what I will have to choose from.

Cazadores had a *new item* zucchini tacos. I was sold as soon as I saw the description. I cleaned my plate too. They didn't make them exactly as the menu stated but they were still good. The zucchini was cooked but still crisp. They were a nice change from my normal daily food menu.

Days following the dinner out, I was craving those zucchini tacos and decided I was going to make them myself.

I bought whole wheat flour tortillas (the small size)
2 zucchini sliced thick
white mushrooms sliced thick
1 onion chopped into bigger pieces
avocado
tomato
crema or sour cream
banana peppers
feta cheese
Ortega fish taco seasoning
small amt of olive oil to saute veggies

I sauteed the zucchini, then the onion, then the mushrooms. I did not cook them together because they don't cook at the same rate and I didn't want the veggies to be soggy from overcooking, I wanted more of a fajita
style veggie, cooked but still crisp. I sprinkled the fish taco seasoning on the zucchini toward the end of cooking them.

I heated the tortilla in the microwave a few seconds then spread on a small amount of the crema, maybe a teaspoon. Then added my cooked veggies and topped them with the banana peppers, tomato and avocado slices, and a little feta cheese. This made a big taco. Very yummy, I have made this at home twice and will continue to add this into my dinner menu.







No comments:

Post a Comment