Thursday, July 17, 2014

Paper Lined Cabinet Doors


My daughter is still trying to decide how she wants to update her room. We finished her curtains last year and then we stalled.

Every time I go to Columbus to visit family I stop at certain stores and Paper Source is one of my favorites. I have seen some pictures on Pinterest where creative folks have lined the sides of dresser drawers with fine paper, fabric, or wrapping paper and I decided I want to do this on my dresser too. Dilemma is I can't choose one paper I love.
My last trip to Columbus last week, and I stopped in Paper Source to see what was new. I saw a beautiful purple paper with stamped gold mums and knew my daughter would love it. The sales clerk showed me a white paper that had gold "dots" with an occasional tiny aqua accent dot. I bought several sheets of each. 
I decided that since I cannot choose a paper for my room that I will start this project in my daughter's room. I bought the purple paper because I want to line the inside of her armoire doors. She often leaves these doors open, so I am hoping the pretty paper will distract from her mess in that cabinet or inspire her to keep it orderly (as you can see it's a mess).
I did not want to attach the paper directly to the doors in case I messed up while attaching the paper or in case we ever want to remove the paper. I decided that poster board cut to fit the space with the fine paper sprayed glued on it would be a better option.
I cut each poster board to size, sprayed with spray glue, and carefully attached the fine paper. Next I trimmed off the excess paper. I admit I messed up on the left-side door so I have to get another sheet of paper and redo it. I cannot live with the air pockets and the crease in the paper. If you do this project be careful when smoothing the paper over the spray glue. 
This will be my re-do. I don't live near a Paper Source so I have to order this paper online or take a 4 hr round trip to Columbus. 
On the wood doors, I attached repositionable double-sided glue dots. Next I pressed the finished poster board to the glue dots. Voila done! Great new look, Brooke loved it.
I still need to fix the back of her cabinet, this used to be my mom's and she kept her television in it so the back is cut out. Once I fix the back to cover the hole I will do a similar treatment with paper to dress up the back.





No comments:

Post a Comment