Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Chocolate Peanut Butter Kit Kat Crunch Bars

I am not going to lie, these bars are so good! I found this recipe on Pinterest and it originally came from Averiecooks.com.

This recipe only yields an 8x8 square pan, so if you are going to a party you may want to double this into a rectangular pyrex dish or tripe it by also doing the 8x8. I did just that after making my first batch and realizing it was an 8x8, so I took a triple batch to the party yesterday and it was devoured. It also helps to not get too excited to make something and to read the recipe thoroughly and understand the yield amount.

What's so great about it? Well the bottom layer is a peanut butter rice crispy treat covered in a chocolate rice crispy treat with Kit Kats on top, it looked shady at first but after it set it looked really yummy. This recipe requires a microwave to heat the ingredients but no other cooking. I made a batch in about 15 minutes, my second batch took less than 10 minutes. Because I made these hours before the party, I placed the finished bars in my deep freezer to set up for about 30-45 minutes. Otherwise make them 1 day ahead.
This is the worst picture! I snapped it with my phone, its the only one I took of my first batch.

Would I change anything about this? No and Yes. I thought the bars were great and I would make as written forever, but I admit I felt the Kit Kats placed on top were an afterthought and did not add much. I was brewing up ideas on how I could incorporate the Kit Kats into this bar better as I was placing the KitKats on top of my bars. I did try to put Kit Kats between the 2 layers and on top, but really it tasted the same.

I think this bar can be easily adapted to use other candies, reese's cups would be amazing!I was thinking twix (or PB twix) would be good on this as well. This is something I will continue to experiment with.

These bars are very sweet, chewy, crisp, and not good for the waist line. I cut mine into smaller pieces because of how sweet they were. My triple batch lasted about 4 hours at the party.

Here is the recipe in my words or check out Averie Cook's original post and beautiful pictures

INGREDIENTS:

Peanut Butter Bottom Layer
1  cup creamy peanut butter (jarred but do not use natural or homemade peanut butter)
1/2 cup light corn syrup
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
3 cups Rice Krispies 
Chocolate Top Layer
1  cup chopped Kit Kat pieces (like 2-4 bars cut into 3-4 pieces per stick really you decide how much)
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
1 cup Rice Krispies 

DIRECTIONS:

1.  Line an 8-inch square pan with aluminum foil or wax paper (I used wax paper)leaving overhang, spray with cooking spray if using aluminum foil; set aside.

2.  In a large microwave-safe bowl, combine peanut butter, corn syrup, sugars, and heat on high power for about a minute to melt, time can vary based on microwave. 

3.  Stir mixture, will still be a bit grainy.


                                                                                                       

4.  RETURN BOWL TO MICROWAVE AND HEAT FOR 1 MORE MINUTE ON HIGH POWER.

5. aDD VANILLA  

6.  STIR IN 3 CUPS CEREAL. 

                                                                                        

7.  Press mixture out into prepared pan, packing it down somewhat firmly with a spatula and smoothing the top; set pan aside.                                                                                                                                    

                                                                                      

8.  IN A MEDIUM MICROWAVE-SAFE BOWL, COMBINE CHOCOLATE CHIPS, PEANUT BUTTER, AND HEAT ON HIGH POWER FOR 1 MINUTE TO MELT.      


9.  Stir mixture. Chips may not be completely melted.   

                         

10. Return bowl to microwave and heat for about 15-30 seconds, check after 15 to see if chocolate chips are melted, if not heat another 15 seconds.

11. STIR IN 1 CUP CEREAL. 

                                                                                                                                              

12. (if you want extra Kit Kats add them on top of peanut butter layer, requires addition 2-3 Kit Kat bars). 

13. Pour chocolate mixture over base, packing it down somewhat firmly with a spatula and smoothing the top.                                                                                            

                                                                            
14. PLACE THE TOP LAYER OF KIT KATS IN ROWS ON THE CHOCOLATE KRISPY LAYER. BY THE TIME YOU GET ALL THE KIT KATS ON THEY WILL BE MELTING. PUSH THEM DOWN LIGHTLY TO MAKE THEM STICK TO THE CHOCOLATE KRISPY LAYER.   
15. Cover pan and place pan in fridge to set up for at least 2 to 3 hours, or overnight, or until chocolate layer is completely set before lifting out with foil overhang, slicing, and serving. If you are in a pinch and don't have hours to let these set, stick them in your freezer for about 30 minutes, they will cool down and set (I did this with 4 batches I made).16. Bars will keep airtight at room temperature for up to 1 week, in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks, or in the freezer for up to 6 months.




No comments:

Post a Comment