Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Recipe: Laundry Sauce


Is it really sauce? Not really, but it is like a thick lotion or body cream. I found the recipe for Mom's Super Laundry Sauce on Budget 101. I was looking for a stain remover and this caught my attention. I had recently made homemade laundry detergent and this is a thicker and more concentrated version of the laundry detergent.

3 main ingredients
I used this to clean my carpet. One of my kids had dropped something dark and mysterious on the carpet and it left an icky greyish oval. Lucky for me my coffee table covered it nicely but I still knew that spot was there taunting me.

Jars ready to be filled
After I made this "sauce" I thought about the quick tip from Sabrina Soto regarding cleaning carpet spots with Borax. So I put a tablespoon on the spot and worked it in with my fingers with a little water. I let it sit for a few minutes and then used my carpet cleaner with hot water to suck the soap and the stain out of my carpet. Like magic the stain was gone. I am sure you can guess what happened next....yep I hit every spot in my carpets....and they all came out too :)

Just getting good and melted
Follow the recipe to the letter, don't try and go commando on this one. Don't put your stove on anything more than medium heat!

1 bar Fels Naptha (grated)
1 cup 20 Mule Team Borax
1 cup Arm & Hammer Washing Soda (found in the laundry aisle, this is not baking soda)
4 cups of hot water 


I grated the Fels Naptha and stirred gently with water until it melted completely. Then I added the powdered soaps and removed from heat and continued stirring until the mixture was smooth and all grit was gone.

Powdered Ingredients
Once the mixture cooled and separated in the jar, I poured in my blender and whipped it up and then jarred, mine made 3qt jars. My blender did not attach to the bottom of the jars so I had to pour this in my blender carafe and whip it that way. For great pictures and better directions than mine visit Budget 101.

All ingredients added, stir gently
I have not used it alone in the washer, but the author of the recipe does. I have a front loader so I take a tablespoon and mix it with some water to break it up and throw in with loads that need a boost. Great stuff, love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment