Thursday, November 21, 2013

Vega Sport Protein Smoothies



I am now just over 11 months vegetarian. I cannot believe how fast 2013 has flown by. The decision was not hard, but adjusting to the lifestyle has been challenging. You jump into the change but it's difficult to plan meals, at least for me it is. So pasta and french fries become your friend, you won't maintain your weight or lose weight eating pasta everyday. I have pudged up but just a few pounds, I am working to lose it!



At this 11 month mark, I feel like I have had some trial and error and learned that planning is essential for this lifestyle. Any diet or way of life requires planning, but adding in creativity is another essential part of eating a vegetarian diet. If you don't plan and get creative it is easy to fall into an unhealthy vegetarian lifestlye, I have fallen some where between healthy and unhealthy this year. Now that I have been at this for almost a year I am ready to dive into a healthier vegetarian diet.



I started noticing a few months ago I was feeling tired and sluggish. I thought about what I was eating and not eating and decided I was seriously lacking protein and vitamins from my diet. At first I decided to just start taking a daily vitamin again and I felt like I was zipping around (definite sign my diet was lacking) but I still didn't feel "right". I decided to eat more foods with protein but also supplement with a protein shake, so off to the health foods store I went.



Many protein shakes are full of dairy and soy, both make me very ill. I needed to find a vegan protein shake that would exclude dairy but I also needed one that excluded soy. I found Vega Sport which has no dairy, soy, or gluten....SCORE! The lady at the store was extremely kind and gave me several Vega Sport single serve packets to take home to try out their line, that was exciting because the single serve packs are $3-4 each!



Ultimately, I chose vanilla because I like that I can mix in fruits, peanut butter, or veggies and alter the flavor. I will be honest the plain vanilla flavor takes some getting used to. The smoothie is great and packs a whopping 26g of protein per serving plus the PB2 per 2tbsp serving gives me an additional 5g protein! I can tell the difference.



My favorite and almost daily breakfast is a shake, made with a cup of ice, 8oz water, 1 banana, 2 tbsp of PB2 powdered peanut butter, and a scoop of vega sport. I have a few others I like too like adding Bolthouse farms mango smoothie to the vanilla shake or throwing in a few strawberries or fresh pineapple.




Do you have a protein shake mix you like to use?

No comments:

Post a Comment