Thursday, October 17, 2013

IKEA Hack - Lenda Tab Top Curtain Makeover
























I know you're looking at the curtains thinking so what? I bought these curtains not realizing it was a tab top design, despite the picture on the front of the package. I did however, realize that the length was WAY too long at 118 inches. I only need 84 inch length curtains. The curtains are called Lenda and cost $39.99 at IKEA. 




My plan was to stencil on a Zamira stencil design from cutting edge stencils but have not gotten that far just yet. To my surprise when I opened the package they were tab top panels, not the look I want or like. What I did like is that the curtain had a 2-inch pocket that I could put a rod through. So, I decided since I had to take up the bottom that I might as well remove the tabs from the top and open the sides where the pocket was so I could put the rod through.

Product Image
Image credit: http://www.cuttingedgestencils.com/moroccan-stencil-designs.html


I used my seam ripper to open the pocket and remove the tabs then I re-sewed the top.  I hung the panels and pinned them to the length I wanted, which ended up being 84-1/4inches. I didn't want the curtains touching the floor because vacuuming is a hassle when the curtains hang on the floor, so they are about 1/2 to 3/4 inch above the carpet. I cut the remaining fabric off and sewed the bottom of the panel, voila done. Probably took me an hour total. I used the extra material and made 2 18-inch envelope pillow covers.

White pillow covers on couch are from the extra material
Stenciling them is the next step, I have the stencil and the paint ready to go, just need time and energy to tackle the project. I do have to admit that I really like the ivory panels as they are, very simple and clean. I may just buy a cheap pair at Target or Walmart and stencil those and use them interchangeably based on my mood.

Here are some pictures of the stencil from http://www.cuttingedgestencils.com/moroccan-stencil-designs.html
I bought the small stencil because I thought I could get more use out of it versus the bigger pattern. 


stencilsmoroccan stencils

stencilsmoroccan stencils

1-Moroccan-stencil_3.jpg


No comments:

Post a Comment