Tuesday, October 15, 2013

DIY Urchin



Everyone in blogland has these cute little sea urchins as decorations. SO I wanted to know how much these little cuties cost. GULP!! almost $50, forget that. All I see when I look at it is a little ball with sticks punched in it and painted gold. No way this girl is shelling out $50 for something I know I can made myself for less than $5 to $10.

I started thinking about different ways I can make something like this and hit up Hobby Lobby for possible materials. My first thought was to make it with homemade salt dough, then I considered a little styrofoam ball as a base. I found little bags of wooden sticks that I thought would be great, they are thicker but most people don't know what the designer-made urchins look like so it does not matter. As I was walking through Hobby Lobby the oven bake clay caught my attention, I remember my ex-sister-in-law making us bakable clay pins for Christmas one year and they lasted forever.


Before I bought anything I decided to run a search standing in HobbyLobby to see if there was a DIY version out on the internet. I realize there are lots of very creative ladies out there and someone else has thought this was DIY-able before I did. I did find a few hits on this and decided to look at Craft and Couture's blog post on the DIY brass urchin. She had the same thoughts as me both styrofoam and the oven bake clay, but the clay appeared to be the better option, so I also went for the clay.


The clay was not expensive and it was big enough to make 2 urchins and I bought the bag of wooden sticks. I used a 40% off coupon to offset some of the cost, so I paid less than $5 in materials. I did not have to buy a can of gold paint because I still had some left from a previous project. If you want a pointy tipped urchin you can either use toothpicks or get wooden skewers and cut the stick down in length.



My 10 year old daughter made one and I made one. First break the clay into 2 equals parts and roll into a ball. Push sticks in, I went in a row to make a cross on the ball, this gave me 4 sections to fill in, it took about 10 mins to roll the ball and push all the sticks in. After we were done we placed these on a cookie sheet. I wrapped each urchin into little foil pouches (I was afraid the wood might catch fire) and I baked these at 165F for 1 hour and 15 minutes per the directions on the clay package.



I will have to admit though that I forgot the urchins were in the oven until about 4 hours later. I tore through the house and when I got to the oven they were still there baking and the little foil pouches protected them. I let the urchins sit on the cookie sheet overnight to cool completely. I sprayed one gold to imitate the designer look. I couldn't be happier.









No comments:

Post a Comment