Monday, September 16, 2013

First Floor Half Bath - Finished!




BEFORE
AFTER
Geez, I cannot believe my last post was over a week ago! Guess the holiday weekend has slowed me down.

We have been busy though. I have been away from here because I need to repaint all my baseboards and it has been a task, in the process of this I have been repainting all the doors too as well as all the door knobs.


One long outstanding project has been finishing our first floor half bath. The room has been in limbo for over a year and a half because it needed baseboards (let's be honest it's been in limbo for 10 years). Well, finally after all this time the baseboards are up! WooHoo!


We replaced the original baseboards with wider solid wood planks. I think the wide planks look so much better. All the trim in our house is white so we stuck with white trim.


This bathroom originally had a pedestal sink, so it fit in with the home's no storage theme. I wanted a vanity but the builder bought the pedestal because they thought it was more desirable. After years of hating that sink we finally got a new vanity with storage and gave away the pedestal and matching mirror. The walls were top half white bottom half dark blue.


When we re-did the room I wanted the color to be soothing, a spa-like blue. The massage clinic I went to had these calm blue walls and I loved the color. The new vanity came from Lowes, I love the rich brown color and the soft close hinges. We got the matching mirror and wall cabinet.



The floor was builder basic vinyl flooring, and it had to go!! We went with a simple porcelain tile and chose a grey grout. the darker grey was chosen to contrast with the grey that is in the tile. Once we got the floors installed, painting the walls and installing the cabinet, vanity and mirror was fast and easy. BUT, the problem was the lack of baseboards and I had a picture that needed hung.


Getting the baseboards in has really changed this room, the room seems deeper now and if the illusion of more space is how I get a bigger bathroom, then I will take it. I had a museum print, The Seashells by James Ensor that I bought in 2004 has been sitting wrapped in plastic on the toilet tank since 2004.


I bought a simple white frame at Hobby Lobby last week it was on sale 50%, so for $15.00 I loved it. I was worried about how the white frame would look against the dark furniture, but once I hung it I really love it. The picture frame was hung using my favorite, 3M Command picture hanging strips.


The last task I had was to touch up the new baseboards and repaint the door, I used Valspar primer and paint in one in the bright white, in semi-gloss finish.


 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment