Thursday, August 22, 2013

Removing Wax From Candle Jars


Hi everyone!

I have to say despite how much I enjoyed vacation I am just happy to be home. Vacation was so relaxing but I am a home-body and like being surrounded by my own stuff and my own chaos. The best part of vacation was not having to go to work, but alas that fairytale has ended and I am back to being a working class slob like most others.

I have been reading up/catching up on my favorite blogs and looking at my favorite stuff that I hope to some day do or own the past few days.


Today I am bringing forward the serious topic of saving glass candle jars (ok, so its not serious) but if you love candles the way I do, have you ever sat back and tallied the number of jar you threw away after your candle burned out???.....sickening!

There are several methods to removing the left over wax. One is hacking it out with a spoon or butter knife, enjoy that mess. Or you can go an easier route like pouring out the hot wax and then scraping out the wax that dried to the side upon pour out, again enjoy that mess.

The 2 best methods are removal by freezing the jar and popping out the wax. However the mouth of the jar is better if its the same size as the base (such as a bath and body works jar). The other method I like best is to boil a pot of water and either pour or ladle the boiling water into the candle jars, go to dinner or a movie and when you come back the wax will have melted and settled on top of the water. If you have a jar with a smaller opening fill the water up to the narrow section but leave some headroom so the wax will rise and settle in the mouth. If the wax is stubborn you may have to repeat the hot water soak.


Once you remove the wax pucks, pour out the water and clean the jar. If you have wax residue you can use rubbing alcohol to pull the wax residue off the jars. For this latest clean out effort, I used the dollar store hand sanitizer sitting on my kitchen sink (full of alcohol). The wax came right out, and I washed the jars and lids with soapy water.


The jars are so pretty and you can use them for storage at home or for small projects or to use as gifts for family, friends, teachers, or neighbors.

No comments:

Post a Comment