Saturday, August 24, 2013

Copycat Carrabba's Cavatappi Amartriciana


We live close to a Carrabba's but we rarely eat there. Not because we don't like it just a lot of the good foods are very fattening. Another issue I have is they have few vegetarian meals that are actually good. We had dinner at Carrabba's in July and I got something that had shrimp on the side. My meal was not good, literally had NO flavor at all, let's just leave it at that. My husband got a chicken meal and the side dish was the Cavatappi Amartriciana. I ended up eating the Cavatappi Amartriciana for my dinner and shoved my plate of yuck to the side.

I loved the pasta in that dish and the dish was clean and had a good flavor. I found several copycat recipes that I could make at home so I can have Cavatappi Amartriciana anytime and made my way.

I found this recipe on Food.com. I make few changes to it except I use petite diced tomatoes and don't cook them very long (the pasta tends to absorb the juice), the cheese you don't have to mix in, you can sprinkle on your plate to control the fat, and I do not add the pancetta. If you do add the pancetta, I did use it the first time I made this for my husband and daughter to sprinkle on their plates you could use a nice cut bacon instead of spending so much on pancetta (aka fancy bacon). I think you could easily add in sausage if that's your thing.

This is a fast and easy meal that takes little effort to make.

 

Ingredients:

Directions:

  1. Cook cavatappi according to package directions; drain.
  2. Saute onions, garlic, and red pepper flakes in olive oil over medium heat till onions are soft and translucent.
  3. Add white wine and cook till nearly evaporated.
  4. Stir in tomatoes with their juice till slightly thickened (3-5 minutes).
  5. Taste, and add salt and pepper as desired.
  6. Mix into cooked cavatappi.
  7. Toss with cheese.
  8. Add cooked pancetta (optional).
  9.  
 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment