Monday, July 8, 2013

Lemon Cake with Blueberry Sauce


Another food post! 

We have friends that live 4 doors down that have an annual July 4th party. They suggest bringing a side dish and they provide all the grill goodies, condiments, toppings, and dinnerware (aka napkins, plastic utensils, and paper plates --- no "real" dishes, they would be doing dishes for days!). So we usually bring a few side dishes to help feed the masses. This year I decided to do 1 side dish and 2 desserts.

My niece Emily specifically asked me to bring the reese pieces blondie brownies that I found on the Chocolate Moosey blog and I made a huge crock pot of my Aunt Geri's cheesey potatoes (I bet she never thought I was paying attention to her telling the story of how these were created (when I was a teenager) but you better believe I was listening!). Both were devoured! I promise to post the potato recipe later, I didn't even think about taking a picture of them.

My third dish was a lemon cake with a blueberry sauce. My sister-in-law Cathy took my kids and 3 other nieces blueberry picking and they came back with ALOT of blueberries. I had a big bag in my fridge and it was not going to last much longer. So I decided to make something....anything to use up the berries.


I looked online trying to find some recipe but nothing really stood out. I wanted something easy and I had lemon on the brain. I was initially thinking a blueberry upside down lemon cake but was worried the blueberries would bubble over and make a mess.

I ended up making a box mix (Duncan Hines) Lemon cake mix in a rectangular baking pan. Then I used 4 cups of blueberries and mixed it with 3/4 cups sugar, 2 tablespoons corn syrup, and dotted with 2-3 tablespoons butter. I baked the blueberries at 350 degrees for about an hour just checked them to make sure they were soft and they made plenty of syrup.

I took a drinking straw and poked holes in the baked and cooled cake and then poured a generous amount of blueberries on the top. I did this the night before the party, though for presentation I would have preferred doing it the day of the party. This cake was devoured too!  It was really good!


The blueberry sauce on its own was amazing. It could be used as an ice cream topping, pancake syrup, as a ice cream add in if you make your own ice cream or to top a cheesecake. With the lemon cake it was a great combination.

Sorry for the crude pics but I decided to cut up the cake and take it in a foil pan to decrease the amount of stuff I had to carry back home last night.
 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment