Monday, June 10, 2013

Re-purposed flower pots


Ok so flower pots can be expensive so keeping them as long as possible is important to me. I have had some on my porch for about 9 years. They are the foamy plastic material and they were a terra cotta look. Weathering has chipped away all the terra cotta around the rim of the pots. Instead of pitching them I decided to spray paint them first just to see how that might revive or destroy them.


Step 1 was heading to Lowe's to get some spray paint. I bought the clear plastic primer and chose 2 colors an aqua and a bright red. I sprayed a little of each color on each pot and stepped back. The red popped from my porch so we took a vote and it was a 3-1 vote in favor of the red. The aqua is being used on my big flower pot on the corner of the house, so everyone is a winner :)


I removed the dirt, wiped down the outside of the pots, sprayed on the primer - 2 coats on day 1, then on day 2 I sprayed on 2 coats of the red. On day 3 I added back in the dirt and planted flowers I got for Mother's day. I repeated the same process for the other pot.


I had to let my eyes adjust to the change for about a week but I really like it now. Going from terra cotta to shiny bright red was a bit shocking but I love that I can see those pots from the road.


I also have a bigger pot on the far side of my house, this one is all plastic and terra cotta color, this one I followed the same process but painted it aqua. Love it! Very summery and reminds me of colors you associate with the Caribbean.



For the paints I used Valspar in peacock blue and queen red.









 I still have a lot of clean up to do and I have some plants to replace but I am making good progress and these revived flower pots were a good motivator to get my yard summer ready.



No comments:

Post a Comment