Sunday, March 3, 2013

Kids Message Center

Happy Sunday!

A long standing project was to create a chalkboard and a tackboard for my daughter's room. I had some old frames that I no longer used, but did not want to throw away so I decided to repurpose these frames to make this project.


First, I used acryllic craft paint in aqua to paint the frames, then to give the frames a shimmery finish, I applied a thin coat of Behr Pearlesence. This changes the look of the paint, but not the color. Here is the back of the frame:

Next, I painted the glass with chalkboard paint, several coats until coated evenly. This board was complete. For the tackboard, I bought a 4 pack of cork tiles from walmart and cut to fit, I attached them to the backing (see picture above, the black back of the frame) with spray glue. Be sure to use spray glue outside or in your garage, other wise it gets everywhere (trust me, I already learned that lesson in my kitchen!).

You will notice in the picture that I have cork laying next to the frame, well I had to add a second layer of cork because it was not thick enough for the tacks. For the second layer of cork, I put the frame together and fitted the second layer inside the frame, otherwise the frame backing will be too thick for the frame. I attached the second layer of cork to the first using spray glue:

The fabric is from Joann's, and was cheap. It is a thick fabric I think I bought 1.5yards so I will have plenty left over to make a pillow. I ironed the fabric to get any creasing or wrinkles out. I spray glued the fabric to the top cork layer and smoothed it on.


After the fabric  and glue set for about 10 minutes, I put the frame together. I hung these over my daughter's desk side by side using command picture hanging strips.


My kids are both loving this. I am expecting my son to want something similar in his room. My daughter is getting too old for her princess theme but is isn't completely ready let it go yet, so this is our first phase in changing her room to peace signs. The Ariel on the side of the cabinet was previously on the wall where the boards are. Ariel was taken down completely after I finished hanging the boards. New curtains will be our next project in her room.

No comments:

Post a Comment